Le Remblai is the name given to the long promenade bordering the beach at Les Sables d’Olonne. Le Remblai is, in fact, a series of promenades originally constructed to protect the town against attack from the sea and the encroaching sand. It was gradually to become the seafront promenade. In the late 19th century, a number of architects gave free rein to their imagination and created some magnificent villas typical of the seaside architecture.
The embankment promenade was inaugurated on 6th August 1950. The total overhaul (2008-2013) of the embankment was a decisive event in the history of Les Sables d'Olonne, bringing about the terms "old embankment" and "new embankment" as if a new page in the history book had been turned.Resulting from a lengthy thought process and debate with users, the main feature of the new Remblai is the priority given to
pedestrians, bicycles, seaside planting (e.g. green oak, pittosporum, tamaris…), shop terraces and bold architectural choices, respectful of the town’s history.
Works undertaken to extend the Embankment in 1949-1950 also included the creation of three semi-circular rotundas between the Place Foch and the Quai Joffre.
The rotundas served as bars or puppet theatres.
Among those to be remembered are La Bagatelle, Le Tacot, Les Canaris, Casa Pépé and Le Trianon.
Built on top of an old blockhouse, the eight-meter high four-sided clock tower was inaugurated on
1st July 1956.
It has, since then, been known as an easy to find meeting, and sometimes dating, spot.